I love fashion, I am also terribly broke at times. As a grad student living in the big city, I have found that whenever I need a new accessory but am low on cash, it is wonderful to be able to reach into my stash and grab a skein of yarn and whip up a headband, scarf or crochet a flower to be pinned to a jacket.
If you’re broke and needing to both be entertained and simultaneously revamp your wardrobe, crafting your own fashion might be a good option for you. Sewing machines, notions, fabric, yarn and sequins can be found cheap if you swap with friends, peruse thrift and vintage stores or scavenge yard sales. Modifications to your clothing can be made without any craft supplies whatsoever- DIY fashion is highly unique and doesn’t have to be expensive!
Fashion I’ve crafted:
- Knitted/Crocheted headbands for winter
- Quilted bags
- Fabric laptop case
- Crocheted flower brooches
- Crocheted reusable shopping bag
- Tons and tons of warm and stylish scarves
Where to get inspiration?
- Tip Junkie – TONS of home decor, fashion and DIY inspiration with tutorials
- HowJoyful– This girl knows how to revamp fashion with simple sewing mods, love it!
- Lion Brand Yarn– 1,000+ free knitting and crochet patterns plus tutorials
- Etsy – This is where I go to get crafty inspirational ideas
- Already Pretty– Sally is a thrift store maven. If you need ideas on how to go vintage, see this blog!
My Favorite Tutorials for Fall Fashion:
My Upcoming Fashion Projects: